The founding of the church dates back to before 1886 when William Lees, a lay reader at St Mary the Virgin (Lapworth Parish Church), started the “Kingswood Mission.” Its purpose was to cater for the spiritual needs of domestic staff employed by the local gentry and the labourers on the railway and canal.
After the death of William Lees (29th January 1907) the church was renamed the “Lees Memorial Hall” and enjoyed a fifty-year period of growth and vibrancy. Then, during the late 1960s and 1970s the church suffered serious decline and a decision to close was made in August 1976.
In 1977 Rev Bill Rogers (a Probation Officer) and a few people from the Solihull Christian Fellowship decided to recommence meetings at the church.
During his tenure (1977 – 1987) the work grew steadily with regular Sunday Services and a thriving young people’s work.
From 1990 to 2014 Gerald Tanner served as the church’s full-time Pastor. The role was then assumed by our current Pastor, James Tydeman.
In September 2022, the church relaunched as Lapworth Community Church.